Friday, February 24, 2012

Turn a blah picture into a WOW picture

So last weekend I walking the streets in downtown Mt Shasta. I walked into a store called Pomodoro. Cute store! They had these gorgeous floral canvas prints I LOVED, and the main reason I loved it was because the sides of the canvas were covered in burlap and nail heads! LOVE! So I thought to myself, I've had a floral canvas print (One I didn't love but bought it because it was only 9.99 at Ikea 5 years ago), and I wanted to add this "one of a kind" detail to my picture. Maybe then I could fall back in love with my picture and I wouldn't want to take it to the local consignment shop!lol! I love it so much now, I want to wrap everything in burlap and nail heads. So easy and cheap to do.

So here it goes...


Here is my print before


(Side profile view of canvas before)






















First I took a yard stick to measure the length so I knew how long to cut my burlap strips. I cut them a little longer so I could wrap them around the edges. Then I took a yard stick and measured the width on the sides of the canvas.


Next I measured out my burlap to the correct length and width, then cut my strips out...there should be 4 total :)


After my strips are cut, I hot glue the first strip to the side of canvas. All you need is a bead of hot glue on the outer edges of canvas. It helps secure it down better.



The first strip of burlap should look like this.

The next step was a little more difficult for me because I couldn't figure out the mathematical spacing for the nail heads. After arguing with my husband (oh come on you know you do too :) I just decided I'd do it "Rachel" style and eye ball it. So you can do it either way.

Next I started nailing the nail heads. (Found them at local craft store.)

(sorry I didn't take more pics of the nail heads but I continued this around all 4 sides)

Drumroll please!!!!!!!!!!




I absolutely LOVE my picture now! It reflects more of me and I'm so happy about it. I have a couple of pieces I want to do next!! Have a great weekend everyone!

Rachel

1 comment: